Two squads in the AL Central — the Kansas City Royals (14-28) and the Minnesota Twins (27-17) — meet on Thursday at 7:40 PM ET, at Target Field.
The Royals are an underdog away (+159) at the Twins (-186). The starting pitchers are Devin Smeltzer (1-0) for the Minnesota Twins, and Daniel Lynch (2-3) for the Kansas City Royals.
The Twins lost their last game against the Tigers by a 4-2 score yesterday. Trevor Larnach went 2-for-3 with a home run and two RBI to lead them offensively. Trevor Megill picked up the loss after throwing one inning, giving up one earned run on one hit while striking out one.
The Royals lost to the Diamondbacks Thursday, with Taylor Clarke registering the loss while pitching 2/3 of an inning, giving up three earned runs on three hits while striking out one. MJ Melendez went 2-for-4 with a double, a home run and three RBI to lead the Royals’ offense.
Prepare for the Twins vs. Royals with everything you need to know ahead of Thursday’s baseball action.
Minnesota Twins vs. Kansas City Royals Odds and Betting Lines
- Favorite: Twins (-186, bet $186 to win $100)
- Underdog: Royals (+159, bet $100 to win $159)
- Over/under: 7.5
Deposit $10, GET $200 INSTANTLY: Get action on this game! Place your legal sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook. Exclusive USA TODAY Network offer: Deposit $10, get $200 in betting credit instantly. 21+, terms and conditions apply. Bet now!
Twins Stats and Trends
Twins Betting Records
- This season, the Twins have been favored 27 times and won 20, or 74.1%, of those games.
- This season, Minnesota has won five of its six games when favored by at least -186 on the moneyline.
- The Twins have a 65% chance to win this game based on the implied probability of the moneyline.
- So far this season, Minnesota and its opponents have hit the over in 18 of their 44 games with a total.
- The Twins are 21-23-0 against the spread in their 44 chances this season.
Devin Smeltzer (Twins Probable Starter)
- Smeltzer will take to the mound for the Twins, his third start of the season.
- The left-hander last pitched on Saturday against the Kansas City Royals, throwing 5 1/3 innings and giving up one earned run.
- He has an ERA of 1.74, a batting average against of .229 and 1.7 strikeouts per nine innings in two games this season.
- Smeltzer has pitched five or more innings in two straight games and will look to extend that streak.
- The Royals rank 27th in MLB with 156 runs scored this season. They have a .235 batting average this campaign with 32 home runs (26th in the league).
- The Royals have gone 5-for-18 with a triple and an RBI in one game against the left-hander this season.
Twins Batting Stats
- The Twins rank 13th in Major League Baseball with 43 home runs.
- The offense for the Twins has a slugging percentage of .388 this season, 16th in MLB.
- Minnesota ranks 11th in MLB with a .242 team batting average.
- The Twins rank 13th in the league with 187 total runs scored this season.
- Minnesota has an on-base percentage of .323 this season, which ranks sixth in the league.
- The Twins rank 16th with an average of 8.3 strikeouts per game.
Royals Stats and Trends
Royals Betting Records
- The Royals have been chosen as underdogs in 39 games this year and have walked away with the win 13 times (33.3%) in those games.
- This season, Kansas City has been a moneyline underdog of -186 or better eight times, losing every contest.
- Bookmakers have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Royals have a 38.6% chance of pulling out a win.
- Contests with Kansas City have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 22 of 46 chances this season.
- The Royals are 19-27-0 against the spread in their 46 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Daniel Lynch (Royals Probable Starter)
- Lynch (2-3) takes the mound first for the Royals in his eighth start of the season. He’s put together a 4.01 ERA in 33 2/3 innings pitched, with 31 strikeouts.
- In his most recent time out on Saturday, the left-hander went 3 2/3 innings against the Minnesota Twins, giving up four earned runs while surrendering five hits.
- The 25-year-old has an ERA of 4.01, with 8.3 strikeouts per nine innings in seven games this season. Opponents have a .240 batting average against him.
- Lynch has collected one quality start this year.
- Lynch is looking to collect his sixth start of five or more innings this season in this game.
- He will take the mound against a Twins team that is hitting .242 as a unit (11th in the MLB). They are also slugging a collective .388 (16th in the league) with 43 total home runs (13th in MLB play).
- Lynch has pitched 8 2/3 innings, giving up four earned runs on nine hits while striking out four against the Twins this season.
Royals Batting Stats
- The Royals have hit the fifth-fewest home runs in MLB action this season (32).
- This season, the Royals’ .362 slugging percentage is 21st in the league.
- Kansas City’s .235 batting average ranks 16th in the league.
- The offense for the Royals is No. 27 in MLB play scoring 3.7 runs per game (156 total runs).
- Kansas City ranks 23rd in baseball with a .297 on-base percentage.
- The Royals strike out 7.5 times per game to rank third in baseball.
Place your legal, online sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook now.
Gannett may earn revenue from Tipico for audience referrals to betting services. Tipico has no influence over nor are any such revenues in any way dependent on or linked to the newsrooms or news coverage. See Tipico.com for Terms and Conditions. 21+ only. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA).