On Thursday, a battle of AL West rivals is on the schedule, with the Houston Astros (24-14) hosting the Texas Rangers (17-19) at 8:10 PM ET.
The favored Astros (-206 moneyline odds) play at home against the Rangers (+174). The starting pitchers are Framber Valdez (2-2) for the Houston Astros, and Glenn Otto (1-1) for the Texas Rangers.
The Rangers earned a 6-5 victory over the Angels yesterday. Kole Calhoun (2-for-3 with a double, a home run and an RBI) led the way offensively, while Dennis Santana got the win on the mound after going one inning without giving up an earned run on one hit, while striking out one.
Prepare for the Astros vs. Rangers with what you need to know before Thursday’s baseball action.
Houston Astros vs. Texas Rangers Odds and Betting Lines
- Favorite: Astros (-206, bet $206 to win $100)
- Underdog: Rangers (+174, bet $100 to win $174)
- Over/under: 8.5
Deposit $10, GET $200 INSTANTLY: Get action on this game! Place your legal sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook. Exclusive USA TODAY Network offer: Deposit $10, get $200 in betting credit instantly. 21+, terms and conditions apply. Bet now!
Astros Stats and Trends
Astros Betting Records
- The Astros have won 20, or 71.4%, of the 28 games they’ve played as favorites this season.
- Houston has played as a favorite of -206 or more twice this season and won both games.
- Sportsbooks have implied with the moneyline set for this matchup that the Astros have a 67.3% chance to win.
- Houston’s games have gone over the total in 11 of their 38 chances.
- The Astros are 20-18-0 ATS in their 38 games with a spread this season.
Framber Valdez (Astros Probable Starter)
- The Astros will send Valdez (2-2) to the mound for his eighth start this season.
- The left-hander gave up one earned run in 7 2/3 innings pitched on Friday in his last outing, a matchup with the Washington Nationals.
- The 28-year-old has pitched to a 2.93 ERA this season with 7.2 strikeouts per nine innings compared to 3.8 walks per nine across seven games.
- If he completes six or more innings with three or fewer earned runs allowed, he’ll earn his fifth consecutive quality start.
- Valdez will look to finish five or more innings for the fifth start in a row.
- The Rangers rank 25th in MLB with a .222 batting average this season. They have a team slugging percentage that ranks 20th in the league (.359) and 39 home runs.
- The left-hander has allowed the Rangers to go 4-for-22 with a double in six innings this season.
- Among qualified pitchers this campaign, the 28-year-old’s 2.93 ERA ranks 22nd, 1.275 WHIP ranks 46th, and 7.2 K/9 ranks 44th.
Astros Batting Stats
- The Astros lead Major League Baseball in home runs with 56.
- Hitters for the Astros rank fourth in the majors with a combined .416 team slugging percentage.
- Houston’s .229 batting average ranks 19th in the league this season.
- The Astros have scored the ninth-most runs in the league this season with 168.
- Houston has an on-base percentage of .307 this season, which ranks 17th in the league.
- The Astros rank 12th in strikeouts per game (8.1) among MLB offenses.
Rangers Stats and Trends
Rangers Betting Records
- The Rangers have been underdogs in 26 games this season and have come away with the win 13 times (50%) in those contests.
- Texas has a win-loss record of 1-3 when favored by +174 or worse by oddsmakers this year.
- The Rangers have an implied victory probability of 36.5% according to the moneyline set for this matchup.
- Contests with Texas have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in 17 of 36 chances this season.
- The Rangers are 22-14-0 against the spread in their 36 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Glenn Otto (Rangers Probable Starter)
- Otto gets the start for the Rangers, his fifth of the season. He is 1-1 with a 6.38 ERA and 16 strikeouts over 18 1/3 innings pitched.
- In his most recent outing on Saturday against the Boston Red Sox, the right-hander went four innings, allowing eight earned runs while surrendering eight hits.
- In four games this season, the 26-year-old has an ERA of 6.38, with 7.9 strikeouts per nine innings. Opponents are batting .235 against him.
- Otto heads into the matchup with two outings of five or more innings pitched this campaign.
- The opposing Astros offense has the fourth-ranked slugging percentage (.416) and ranks first in home runs hit (56) in all of MLB. They have a collective .229 batting average, and are 17th in the league with 290 total hits and ninth in MLB action scoring 168 runs.
- Otto has thrown 4 1/3 innings, giving up two earned runs on four hits while striking out five against the Astros this season.
Rangers Batting Stats
- The Rangers are 10th in MLB action with 39 total home runs.
- So far this year, the Rangers’ .359 slugging percentage is 20th in baseball.
- Texas has the 25th-ranked batting average in the majors (.222).
- Averaging 4.3 runs per game (154 total), the Rangers are the 18th-highest scoring team in MLB play.
- Texas is 26th in the league with a .290 on-base percentage.
- The Rangers strike out 8.1 times per game to rank seventh in the league.
Place your legal, online sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook now.
Astros vs. Rangers: Live Streaming Info & Game Time
- Game Day: Thursday, May 19, 2022
- Game Time: 8:10 PM ET
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
- TV Channel: AT&T Sportsnet Southwest
- Live Stream: fuboTV (Watch for free)
Gannett may earn revenue from Tipico for audience referrals to betting services. Tipico has no influence over nor are any such revenues in any way dependent on or linked to the newsrooms or news coverage. See Tipico.com for Terms and Conditions. 21+ only. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA).