A series opener between the Chicago Cubs (23-40) and Atlanta Braves (37-27) is scheduled for Friday at 2:20 PM ET, at Wrigley Field.
The Braves are the road favorite (-177) versus the Cubs (+151). The Atlanta Braves will hand the ball to Charlie Morton (4-3, 5.67 ERA), who is looking for win No. 5 on the season, and the Cubs will counter with Keegan Thompson (6-2, 3.67 ERA).
The Braves won 8-2 over the Nationals Friday in their last game. Spencer Strider was named the winning pitcher after throwing 5 2/3 innings, giving up two earned runs on one hit while striking out 11, while Austin Riley finished 3-for-5 with two home runs and four RBI to lead them offensively.
The Cubs lost to the Padres yesterday, with Matt Swarmer getting the loss while pitching 3 2/3 innings, giving up four earned runs on four hits while striking out four. Christopher Morel went 2-for-4 with a home run and an RBI to pace the Cubs’ offense.
Here is what you need to get ready for Friday’s Braves vs. Cubs action.
Atlanta Braves vs. Chicago Cubs Odds and Betting Lines
- Favorite: Braves (-177, bet $177 to win $100)
- Underdog: Cubs (+151, bet $100 to win $151)
- Over/under: 8
Deposit $10, GET $200 INSTANTLY: Get action on this game! Place your legal sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook. Exclusive USA TODAY Network offer: Deposit $10, get $200 in betting credit instantly. 21+, terms and conditions apply. Bet now!
Braves Stats and Trends
Braves Betting Records
- This season, the Braves have won 29 out of the 45 games, or 64.4%, in which they’ve been favored.
- Atlanta is 15-5 this season when entering a game favored by -177 or more on the moneyline.
- The moneyline for this contest implies a 63.9% chance of a victory for the Braves.
- Games involving Atlanta have gone over the total set by sportsbooks in 34 of 63 chances this season.
- The Braves are 33-30-0 against the spread this season.
Charlie Morton (Braves Probable Starter)
- The Braves will hand the ball to Morton (4-3) for his 13th start of the season.
- The right-hander’s last appearance was on Saturday, when he threw 6 2/3 innings against the Pittsburgh Pirates, giving up four earned runs while allowing five hits.
- The 38-year-old has an ERA of 5.67, a 2.538 strikeout-to-walk ratio and a WHIP of 1.459 in 12 games this season.
- In 12 starts this season, he’s earned one quality start.
- Morton will look to finish five or more innings for the fourth start in a row.
- The Cubs have scored 268 runs this season, which ranks 19th in MLB. They have 517 hits, 12th in baseball, with 64 home runs (17th in the league).
- The Cubs have gone 4-for-9 with two doubles and three RBI in 2 1/3 innings this season against the right-hander.
Braves Batting Stats
- The Braves rank second in Major League Baseball with 97 home runs.
- Fueled by 225 extra-base hits, the Braves lead MLB with a .443 slugging percentage this season.
- Atlanta’s .248 batting average ranks 11th in the league this season.
- The Braves are among the highest scoring teams in the league, ranking sixth with 308 total runs this season.
- Atlanta has an on-base percentage of .315 this season, which ranks 15th in the league.
- The Braves rank just 29th in MLB in strikeouts per game with an average of 9.4 whiffs per contest.
Cubs Stats and Trends
Cubs Betting Records
- The Cubs have been chosen as underdogs in 44 games this year and have walked away with the win 16 times (36.4%) in those games.
- This season, Chicago has been victorious three times in 11 chances when named as an underdog of at least +151 or worse on the moneyline.
- The moneyline set for this matchup implies the Cubs have a 39.8% chance of coming away with a victory in the contest.
- Contests with Chicago have gone over the total set by oddsmakers in 32 of 63 chances this season.
- The Cubs are 31-32-0 against the spread in their 63 games with a line set by sportsbooks this season.
Keegan Thompson (Cubs Probable Starter)
- Thompson gets the start for the Cubs, his seventh of the season. He is 6-2 with a 3.67 ERA and 39 strikeouts in 49 innings pitched.
- The right-hander last appeared on Sunday against the New York Yankees, when he tossed two-thirds of an inning, allowing three earned runs while giving up three hits.
- The 27-year-old has a 3.67 ERA and 7.2 strikeouts per nine innings across 14 games this season, while allowing a batting average of .244 to opposing batters.
- Thompson has not recorded a quality start yet this season.
- Thompson will try to record his fourth matchup of five or more innings pitched this season. He averages 3.2 innings per appearance.
- The opposing Braves offense has a collective .248 batting average, and is ninth in the league with 538 total hits and sixth in MLB play with 308 runs scored. They have the first-ranked slugging percentage (.443) and are second in all of MLB with 97 home runs.
- Head-to-head against the Braves this season, Thompson has pitched three innings, giving up one earned run on three hits while striking out three.
Cubs Batting Stats
- The Cubs average 1.0 home run per game to rank 17th in MLB play with 64 total home runs .
- So far this year, the Cubs rank 14th in the league, slugging .394.
- Chicago has the 15th-ranked batting average in the majors (.242).
- The offense for the Cubs is the No. 19 offense in MLB action scoring 4.3 runs per game (268 total runs).
- Chicago’s .318 on-base percentage ranks 14th in baseball.
- The Cubs strike out 8.7 times per game to rank 21st in baseball.
Place your legal, online sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook now.
Braves vs. Cubs: Live Streaming Info & Game Time
- Game Day: Friday, June 17, 2022
- Game Time: 2:20 PM ET
- Stadium: Wrigley Field
- TV Channel: Marquee Sports Network
- Live Stream: fuboTV (Watch for free)
Gannett may earn revenue from Tipico for audience referrals to betting services. Tipico has no influence over nor are any such revenues in any way dependent on or linked to the newsrooms or news coverage. See Tipico.com for Terms and Conditions. 21+ only. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA).